Place Category: Member
The Institute is a governmental public technical-scientific organisation, offering a broad range of services in the Public Veterinary sector, e.g. to the Veterinary Services, Breeders and Consumers. Its functions today can be described as those of a Technical-Scientific Body providing services as required by national and regional laws. Over 600 persons are employed of which 110 are veterinarians, biologists and chemists.
The main duties and services of IZSLER are:
- Diagnostic service on transmissible animal diseases and zoonoses;
- Analytical tests and technical, scientific and operative back-up for the Veterinary Services and the creation of prophylactic and eradication plans;
- Laboratory services for microbiological and chemical research on foodstuffs of animal origin intended for human consumption and on food resources for animals;
- Technical, scientific and operative back-up for animal health preservation and the improvement of animal productions and welfare;
- Technical, scientific and operative back-up for veterinary pharmaceutical security measures;
- Epidemiological surveillance of animal health, hygiene of zootechnical products, hygiene of foodstuffs of animal origin;
- Information, consultancy and assistance to stockbreeders regarding sanitary problems, development and improvement of animal production;
- Training of specialized personnel in zooprophylaxis;
- Technical-scientific co-operation with veterinary institutions, including those overseas, in collaboration with the Ministry of Health;
- Workshops and professional qualification of the veterinarians and technicians in charge of the activities regarding animal health and agro-economics;
- Production of farm-specific-vaccines and diagnostic products essential in the veterinary profession and in the improvement of zootechnical productions;
- Any other service, which may be of interest to veterinarians as requested by the Ministry of Health or the regions directly concerned.
- Research, which is mostly aimed at the diagnosis of animal diseases and at the hygiene of foodstuffs.
Infrastructure consists of laboratories for microbiological and chemical analysis of food and foodstuff, cell cultures, virology, histopathology, MAbs production, molecular biology and immunology. Animal facilities include BL3, BL2 and conventional units, a SPF-chicken unit and a small pig pathogen free unit. Laboratories are fully equipped with traditional and innovative specialist equipment (e.g. TEM, NGS, a flow cytometer and a mass spectrometry apparatus). A database for a samples, reagents and material bank (Biobank) was established for the record of pathogens, tissue samples, pathological materials, sera, MAbs, cell cultures and reagents. A catalogue is available on web (http://www.ibvr.org).
Several laboratories have received the recognition of Reference Centre at both national and international level (OIE Reference Centre for SVD RHDV, Myxomatosis, FMD, SIV, and FAO Collaborative Centre for FMD and SVD. It has also been recognized by OIE and BBMRI as veterinary biobank.
The logistic of IZSLER includes a network of 17 provincial laboratories equally distributed within the jurisdictional regions (Lombardia and Emilia Romagna) and closely linked to the central Institute in Brescia in order to bring the means of diagnosis and consultancy as near to the users as possible.
In order to provide qualified lab tests and activities that will be recognised by other countries, the Institute has adopted a policy of quality satisfaction for companies, business and operators. The Institute has been an accredited multi-site laboratory, in conformity with standard UNI CEI EN 45001 and ISO 17025 since 1997.
Institute contacts Name Contact email Representative Giorgio Varisco email@example.com Institute Representative Loris Alborali firstname.lastname@example.org Scientific Representative
Twitter: Follow us @sciensano